We announce a Data Challenge as a part of the Workshop on GIScience in the Big Data Age 2012 (GIBDA2012). The winner will be awarded a $250 price sponsored by 52North and will present at the workshop, in Columbus, Ohio, USA. September 18th.
Here is a description of the Data Challenge:
The website spatial.linkedscience.org/ contains a growing collection of metadata for proceedings of conferences on topics related to geographic information science. So far, it contains most of the metadata for the GIScience, COSIT, ACM GIS, and AGILE conference series. Within the GIBDA Data Challenge, we are looking for
- innovative analyses of the data
- interactive visualizations
- approaches for cleaning the data up
- pattern and topic mining
- enrichment and interlinking with other datasets (e.g., from the Linked Data cloud)
- insights into GIScience as research field
- adding social roles and aspects
The raw data can be queried via SPARQL using the SPARQL endpoint spatial.linkedscience.org/sparql. Submissions to the data challenge are to be submitted through EasyChair as a brief description of the entry, along with a link to the demo/analysis/dataset. Entries to the challenge will be evaluated by the program committee based on innovativeness and potential impact. The winner will be awarded a $250 price sponsored by 52North and will present at the workshop. Submissions due: 18. June 2012, see GIBDA2012 Workshop pages for more details.
Organizers of the Data Challenge
- Krzysztof Janowicz, University of California, Santa Barbara, USA
- Carsten Keßler, University of Münster, Germany
- Tomi Kauppinen, University of Münster, Germany
- Dave Kolas, BBN Technologies, USA